Tooth colored fillings, also known as bonding or resin fillings, can be used to fill teeth instead of the usual silver amalgam fillings.
Advantages of Tooth Colored Fillings
Among the good points are:
- These fillings have a natural appearance
- You can eat right away; no need to wait for the filling to harden
- These fillings can be used to change the shape and color of teeth, especially front teeth
- Less drilling is needed since these fillings have adhesive properties
Disadvantages of Tooth Colored Fillings
The drawbacks include:
- These fillings have less resistance to wear
- They are technically difficult for a dentist to put in place
Extra time, effort, and materials are needed so tooth colored fillings are more expensive than silver fillings. The material can be tough to work with and flow into place. And the material is very sensitive to moisture, which is a challenge to control in the mouth during the procedure.
Some things are done the same as silver fillings. Dr. Grody still needs to remove tooth decay and old broken fillings. A protective liner is used to keep the tooth comfortable against hot and cold. And, for in-between teeth, a matrix or shape former is needed to give a natural form to the filling.
Tooth colored fillings need a few extra steps to be completed. The first step is to match the color of the filling to the tooth. Other steps include using chemicals to prepare or etch the tooth, applying an adhesive, and filling the tooth in layers (each of which is hardened or cured using a special light before the next layer is added). But patients are so pleased with the results that the extra time is worthwhile.
Call our Augusta dental practice at (207) 622-0450 and let our friendly staff help you improve your smile. We are available to answer your dental questions and set up an appointment with Dr. Grody.